Monday, August 18, 2008

Sunshine, Lollipops, Rainbows, Stomach Flu.

So, this can only happen to someone like me. I'm pretty much sick. Again. Two viruses in a row! Can you believe my luck? If only they were lotteries, my dear journal, if only...

It turns out, I'm not the only one ill this time. In Podgorica, the main city of Montenegro, a huge outbreak turned into an easy epidemic of stomach cramps, pains, vomiting, nausea, temperatures variating quickly and burning and freezing in ridiculous mismatched timing.

I winced through hours of sleepless tossing and turning, pains and running to the bathroom, cluthing my stomach and being hunched over. Let's just say my toilet bowl and me became very good friends, while I glared at my stomach and held my breath not to allow anything else to visit.

So, the second day that my condition worsened, I hopped off to the doctor's office, dazed and terribly orientated. She shook her head and could tell within seconds what I had. What every other person in the whole waiting room had, minus a few oddities.

It made me think, was this ailing so many people that the pharmacies were nearly sold out of hundreds of boxes of pills and syrups and mixtures to ' fix ' it? So I opened up google, and typed in ' stomach flu epidemic ', trying to see if fair old Internet had any unbiased information on the disease that the local media had to hide for tourist reasons.

(That's right, I've figured it out, government. As has every other citizen.) I read a nice article about what was going on. To partially quote:

" Mysterious, dangerous and very infectious disease called by many a "stomach flu" has affected not only Podgorica, the capital of Montenegro, but that country's sea coast as well. This outbreak has all the characteristics of an epidemic of norovirus-associated gastroenteritis. The authorities deny any epidemic in spite of almost a thousand of registered cases in Podgorica with the symptoms of this mysterious disease. "

Not only that, but there's been two deaths so far. Somehow, I feel luckier. A lot luckier.

No comments: